The use of registers of prequalified suppliers of works and construction services is a key mechanism to streamline public construction procurement.
The following registers have been approved by the Secretary to the Department of Treasury and Finance, under the provisions of Instruction 6.1.1:
Development Victoria Register of Prequalified Contractors (for Agency specific use)
Transitional provisions apply for Agencies using a register of prequalified suppliers that has not been approved by the Secretary to the Department of Treasury and Finance, refer to the Fact sheet - Transitional provisions for the introduction of the new Ministerial Directions for Public Construction Procurement available at .
Construction Supplier Register
- project managers;
- commercial and domestic builders;
- demolition contractors; and
- other public construction specialists.
Victorian government departments and public bodies may use the Construction Supplier Register to create short lists of suppliers to invite to submit tenders for public construction projects.
VicRoads pre-qualification scheme
The pre-qualification scheme is an agency-specific register. VicRoads has established the scheme for for suppliers of works and construction services that specialise in civil (roads and bridges) construction and related areas.
National prequalification systems
Two new national prequalification systems for state and territory governments came into operation on 1 January 2011:
- National Prequalification System for Non-residential Building (the NPS) applies to the pre-qualification of contractors for non-residential projects (buildings) with an estimated construction cost of $50 million and above.
- Austroads National Prequalification System for Civil Contractors applies to the pre-qualification of contractors for road and bridge construction.
The Non-residential Building NPS was developed by the Australasian Procurement and Construction Council in conjunction with state and territory jurisdictions.
It brings state and territory prequalification systems together, streamlines prequalification processes and provides for mutual recognition of contractor pre-qualification across borders.
In Victoria, the Construction Supplier Register administers the Non-residential Building NPS, while VicRoads administers the national civil contractor system.
Reviewed 30 October 2018